Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A few good men

Commitment?

Where has it gone?

Because we Americans are all about what makes us feel the best and not being inconvenienced, I'm having trouble finding people who are committed to anything (except sports, which bewilders me).

Our priorities are whack. I feel like Christians have taken the verse "let your yes be yes and your no be no" and interpreted it as "ok, we won't say yes or no, we'll leave you hanging in doubt until the very last second."

I think our parents and/or grandparents did the right thing when they always went to church any time the doors were open. It was a commitment. And sure, maybe their hearts weren't always in the right place, but if we based everything on feelings, would we ever get anything accomplished?

I want people I can count on in my life, a few good men and women. I'm tired of feeling worried about whether or not you'll be there in the end.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe not the same thing.. but your post reminded me of something I read in Anne of Avonlea so I thought I would add it to the conversation. Similar heart to it maybe? Let me know what you think.. it's Mrs. Allan speaking to Anne, and it goes like this: "True friendship is a very helpful thing indeed, and we should have a very high ideal of it, and never sully it by any failure in truth and sincerity. I fear the name of friendship is often degraded to a kind of intimacy that has nothing of real friendship in it."

Ashley said...

That quote is a good one indeed. I think that we live in a world where many are called "friend" but few actually know what it means. In the same way many are called "Committed Christians" without truly knowing what it means. And sometimes, they are one and the same which makes it extra tough when you get let down.