Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Wonder

Little boys love things that are bigger than they are; buses, airplanes, trains, cars, trucks, construction vehicles, helicopters, fire engines, ambulances, etc.

They have a sense of wonder. The world and life are both so much bigger than they are.

As we grow older that wonder seems to dissipate. We believe in ourselves or at least believe that we have arrived or understood as much as we can. Nothing fascinates us anymore. Cars get us where we want to go, fire engines are merely noisy, construction vechicles, mundane. I've been discovering so much with my two year old little boy. How much is there to stop and watch and listen. It's amazing and life changing.

Those of us who've grown up in the church suffer from this mentality with God. We think we've got Him figured out or at least we've gone as far as we want into the depth. It leaves our worship lacking and empty. We need to wonder again, to realize how beyond our understanding and how limitless He is.

May I stop, watch, listen, be excited and a bit terrified of all that you are Jesus. May I truly call you wonderful and mean it.

2 comments:

Billie said...

Wow, I can only agree with you on this one. Great stuff. Maybe the stuff of a song...?

Cathryn said...

Wow, Ashley! Great thoughts, so true about 2 year olds and us. "Unless you become like little children..." Here comes the fire engine...and the kingdom!